Odanacatib, also known as MK-0822, is an inhibitor of cathepsin K with potential anti-osteoporotic activity. Odanacatib selectively binds to and inhibits the activity of cathepsin K, which may result in a reduction in bone resorption, improvement of bone mineral density, and a reversal in osteoporotic changes. Cathepsin K, a tissue-specific cysteine protease that catalyzes degradation of bone matrix proteins such as collagen I/II, elastin, and osteonectin plays an important role in osteoclast function and bone resorption. Check for active clinical trials or closed clinical trials using this agent. (NCI Thesaurus).
CAS Number: 603139-19-1
Molecular Weight: 525.56
Chemical Name: (S)-N-(1-cyanocyclopropyl)-4-fluoro-4-methyl-2-(((S)-2,2,2-trifluoro-1-(4'-(methylsulfonyl)-[1,1'-biphenyl]-4-yl)ethyl)amino)pentanamide
Appearance: Solid Power.
Purity: ≥98% (or refer to the Certificate of Analysis)
Solubility: Soluble in DMSO, not in water
Shipping Condition: Shipped under ambient temperature as non-hazardous chemical or refer to Certificate of Analysis
Storage Condition: Dry, dark and -20 oC for 1 year or refer to the Certificate of Analysis.
Shelf Life: ≥360 days if stored properly.
Stock Solution Storage: 0 - 4 oC for 1 month or refer to the Certificate of Analysis.
Drug Formulation: To be determined.
HS Tariff Code: 382200
How to use
Odanacatib is a weak inhibitor of antigen presentation, measured in a mouse B cell line (IC50=1.5±0.4 μM), compared to the Cat S inhibitor LHVS (IC50=0.001 μM) in the same assay. Odanacatib also shows weak inhibition of the processing of the MHC II invariant chain protein Iip10 in mouse splenocytes compared to LHVS (minimum inhibitory concentration 1-10 μM versus 0.01 μM, respectively). Odanacatib reduces resorption activity as measured by CTx release (IC50=9.4 nM) or resorption area (IC50=6.5 nM), but has no impact on OC activation. Odanacatib dose-dependently reduces CTx release with an IC50=9.4±1.0 nM. Odanacatib treated OC accumulates labeled degraded bone matrix proteins in CatK containing vesicles.
Odanacatib (30 mg/kg, orally, once daily) persistently suppresses bone resorption markers and serum bone formation markers versus vehicle-treated OVX monkeys. Odanacatib displays compartment-specific effects on trabecular versus cortical bone formation, with treatment resulting in marked increases in periosteal bone formation and cortical thickness in ovariectomized monkeys whereas trabecular bone formation is reduced. The bone volume/total volume (BV/TV) and bone mineral density (BMD) of the OVX + ODN-h group is significantly higher than that of the OVX + Veh group (p
- Chapurlat RD. Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis with odanacatib. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2014 Jan 24. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24456412.
- Odanacatib, a cathepsin K inhibitor, superior to alendronate. Bonekey Rep. 2013 Sep 4;2:426. doi: 10.1038/bonekey.2013.160. eCollection 2013. PubMed PMID: 24422127; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3789222.
- Retraction notice: Odanacatib for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2014 Jan;15(1):151. doi: 10.1517/14656566.2014.868399. Epub 2013 Nov 30. PubMed PMID: 24289716.
- Anderson MS, Gendrano IN, Liu C, Jeffers S, Mahon C, Mehta A, Mostoller K, Zajic S, Morris D, Lee J, Stoch SA. Odanacatib, a selective cathepsin K inhibitor, demonstrates comparable pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics in older men and postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Dec 20:jc20131688. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24276460.
- Chapurlat RD. Odanacatib for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2014 Jan;15(1):97-102. doi: 10.1517/14656566.2014.853038. Epub 2013 Oct 25. Retraction in: Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2014 Jan;15(1):151. PubMed PMID: 24156249.
Products are for research use only. Not for human use.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.