Phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate is a protein kinase C (PKC) agonist potentially for the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia and cardiac fibrosis.
Chemical Formula: C36H56O8
Exact Mass: 616.3975
Molecular Weight: 616.83
Elemental Analysis: C, 70.10; H, 9.15; O, 20.75
Appearance: Solid powder
Purity: >98% (or refer to the Certificate of Analysis)
Shipping Condition: Shipped under ambient temperature as non-hazardous chemical. This product is stable enough for a few weeks during ordinary shipping and time spent in Customs.
Storage Condition: Dry, dark and at 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks) or -20 C for long term (months to years).
Solubility: Soluble in DMSO
Shelf Life: >2 years if stored properly
Drug Formulation: This drug may be formulated in DMSO
Stock Solution Storage: 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks), or -20 C for long term (months).
HS Tariff Code: 2934.99.9001
In order to examine the role of PKC in p38MAPK phosphorylation, the cells are stimulated with the PKC activator, PMA (100 nM), which mimics the binding of DAG, the natural activator of PKC, to the C1 region of the PKCs. p38MAPK phosphorylation by PMA is observed in the two cell types similar to that observed by GnRH in αT3-1 cells, that is, a slow sustained activation (3.2-fold and 3.6-fold, respectively at 30 min). The paradoxical findings that PKCs activated by GnRH and PMA play a differential role in p38MAPK phosphorylation may be explained by differential localization of the PKCs. Basal, GnRH- and PMA- stimulation of p38MAPK phosphorylation in αT3-1 cells is mediated by Ca2+ influx via voltage-gated Ca2+channels and Ca2+ mobilization, while in the differentiated LβT2 gonadotrope cells it is mediated only by Ca2+ mobilization.
PMA is a PKC agonist, which reverses the damage induced by 5-hydroxydecanoic acid (5-HD). Thus, activation of the mitoKATP protected mitochondrial function in SOD and MDA via the PKC pathway.
- Li YH, Bi HC, Huang L, Jin J, Zhong GP, Zhou XN, Huang M. Phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate inhibits P-glycoprotein-mediated efflux of digoxin in MDCKII-MDR1 and Caco-2 cell monolayer models. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2014 Feb;35(2):283-91. doi: 10.1038/aps.2013.157. PubMed PMID: 24362330; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4651225.
- Wang YP, Wang P, Dong L, Chen H, Wu YQ, Li HW, Li M. Relaxin inhibit cardiac fibrosis induced by phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate. Biomed Environ Sci. 2014 Feb;27(2):138-41. doi: 10.3967/bes2014.030. PubMed PMID: 24625407.
- Choi YJ, Lee YH, Lee ST. Galangin and kaempferol suppress phorbol-12-myristate-13-acetate-induced matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression in human fibrosarcoma HT-1080 cells. Mol Cells. 2015;38(2):151-5. doi: 10.14348/molcells.2015.2229. PubMed PMID: 25518925; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4332032.
- Song YS, Kim MS, Lee DH, Oh DK, Yoon DY. 15-Hydroxyeicosatetraenoic Acid Inhibits Phorbol-12-Myristate-13-Acetate-Induced MUC5AC Expression in NCI-H292 Respiratory Epithelial Cells. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2015 May;25(5):589-97. PubMed PMID: 25649981.
- Song JK, Lee CH, Hwang SM, Joo BS, Lee SY, Jung JS. Effect of phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate on the differentiation of adipose-derived stromal cells from different subcutaneous adipose tissue depots. Korean J Physiol Pharmacol. 2014 Aug;18(4):289-96. doi: 10.4196/kjpp.2014.18.4.289. PubMed PMID: 25177160; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4146630.
- Nishiura H, Yamanegi K, Kawabe M, Kato-Kogoe N, Yamada N, Nakasho K. Annexin A3 plays a role in cytoplasmic calcium oscillation by extracellular calcium in the human promyelocytic leukemia HL-60 cells differentiated by phorbol-12-myristate-13-acetate. Exp Mol Pathol. 2014 Oct;97(2):241-6. doi: 10.1016/j.yexmp.2014.07.010. PubMed PMID: 25036403.
Products are for research use only. Not for human use.