Ionomycin Free Acid is a Ca 2+ ionophore. Its depletion of intracellular Ca 2+ stores may be linked to the induction of apoptosis.
Chemical Formula: C41H72O9
Exact Mass: 708.5176
Molecular Weight: 709.01
Elemental Analysis: C, 69.46; H, 10.24; O, 20.31
Related CAS #: 56092-81-0 (free acid) 56092-82-1 (calcium)
Appearance: Solid powder
Purity: >98% (or refer to the Certificate of Analysis)
Shipping Condition: Shipped under ambient temperature as non-hazardous chemical. This product is stable enough for a few weeks during ordinary shipping and time spent in Customs.
Storage Condition: Dry, dark and at 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks) or -20 C for long term (months to years).
Solubility: Soluble in DMSO
Shelf Life: >2 years if stored properly
Drug Formulation: This drug may be formulated in DMSO
Stock Solution Storage: 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks), or -20 C for long term (months).
HS Tariff Code: 2934.99.9001
Ionomycin is a Calcium ionophore and an antibiotic produced by Streptomyces conglobatus.
Addition of 2 μM Ionomycin to LCLC 103H cells causes an instantaneous increase in intracellular Ca2+ concentration from 50 to 180 nM. DNA and protein analysis in Ionomycin-treated cultures revealed DNA fragmentation and PARP cleavage to an 85-kDa fragment typical of caspase-mediated apoptosis. Necrosis could be detected in ~1-5% of the Ionomycin treated cells. Caspase activation in whole cells was followed by monitoring the increase in activity against Ac-DEVD-amc following Ionomycin treatment.
Ionomycin-mediated cleavage and exosome release. Following Ionomycin exposure, medium conditioned by SKOV3ip cells had increased amounts of exosomes containing the L1-32 cleavage fragment.
- Okudera M, Gojoubori T, Tsujino I, Asano M. Effect of ionomycin on interaction of calnexin with vesicular stomatitis virus glycoprotein is cell type-specific. J Oral Sci. 2015;57(4):305-12. doi: 10.2334/josnusd.57.305. PubMed PMID: 26666853.
- Nakamura S, Nakanishi A, Takazawa M, Okihiro S, Urano S, Fukui K. Ionomycin-induced calcium influx induces neurite degeneration in mouse neuroblastoma cells: analysis of a time-lapse live cell imaging system. Free Radic Res. 2016;50(11):1214-1225. Epub 2016 Sep 29. PubMed PMID: 27573976.
- Zhang Z, Zhang Y, Mou Z, Chu S, Chen X, He W, Guo X, Yuan Y, Takahashi M, Chen N. Tyrosine 402 phosphorylation of Pyk2 is involved in ionomycin-induced neurotransmitter release. PLoS One. 2014 Apr 9;9(4):e94574. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0094574. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 24718602; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3981813.
- Zheng W, Feng X, Qiu L, Pan Z, Wang R, Lin S, Hou D, Jin L, Li Y. Identification of the antibiotic ionomycin as an unexpected peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPARγ) ligand with a unique binding mode and effective glucose-lowering activity in a mouse model of diabetes. Diabetologia. 2013 Feb;56(2):401-11. doi: 10.1007/s00125-012-2777-9. Epub 2012 Nov 23. PubMed PMID: 23178929.
- Nakazawa S, Shirae-Kurabayashi M, Otsuka K, Sawada H. Proteomics of ionomycin-induced ascidian sperm reaction: Released and exposed sperm proteins in the ascidian Ciona intestinalis. Proteomics. 2015 Dec;15(23-24):4064-79. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201500162. Epub 2015 Sep 25. PubMed PMID: 26223815.
Products are for research use only. Not for human use.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.