Ionomycin calcium is a polyether Ca 2+ ionophore. Its depletion of intracellular Ca 2+ stores may be linked to the induction of apoptosis.
Chemical Formula: C41H70CaO9
Exact Mass: 746.4646
Molecular Weight: 747.08
Elemental Analysis: C, 65.92; H, 9.44; Ca, 5.36; O, 19.27
Related CAS #: 56092-81-0 (free acid) 56092-82-1 (calcium)
Appearance: Solid powder
Purity: >98% (or refer to the Certificate of Analysis)
Shipping Condition: Shipped under ambient temperature as non-hazardous chemical. This product is stable enough for a few weeks during ordinary shipping and time spent in Customs.
Storage Condition: Dry, dark and at 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks) or -20 C for long term (months to years).
Solubility: Soluble in DMSO
Shelf Life: >2 years if stored properly
Drug Formulation: This drug may be formulated in DMSO
Stock Solution Storage: 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks), or -20 C for long term (months).
HS Tariff Code: 2934.99.9001
Ionomycin is a Calcium ionophore and an antibiotic produced by Streptomyces conglobatus.
Addition of 2 μM Ionomycin to LCLC 103H cells causes an instantaneous increase in intracellular Ca2+ concentration from 50 to 180 nM. DNA and protein analysis in Ionomycin-treated cultures revealed DNA fragmentation and PARP cleavage to an 85-kDa fragment typical of caspase-mediated apoptosis. Necrosis could be detected in ~1-5% of the Ionomycin treated cells. Caspase activation in whole cells was followed by monitoring the increase in activity against Ac-DEVD-amc following Ionomycin treatment.
Ionomycin-mediated cleavage and exosome release. Following Ionomycin exposure, medium conditioned by SKOV3ip cells had increased amounts of exosomes containing the L1-32 cleavage fragment.
1. Nakamura S, Nakanishi A, Takazawa M, Okihiro S, Urano S, Fukui K. Ionomycin-induced calcium influx induces neurite degeneration in mouse neuroblastoma cells: analysis of a time-lapse live cell imaging system. Free Radic Res. 2016;50(11):1214-1225. Epub 2016 Sep 29. PubMed PMID: 27573976.
2. Müller MS, Obel LF, Waagepetersen HS, Schousboe A, Bak LK. Complex actions of ionomycin in cultured cerebellar astrocytes affecting both calcium-induced calcium release and store-operated calcium entry. Neurochem Res. 2013 Jun;38(6):1260-5. doi: 10.1007/s11064-013-1021-4. Epub 2013 Mar 22. PubMed PMID: 23519933.
3. Lee WK, Dittmar T. Cytosolic calcium measurements in renal epithelial cells by flow cytometry. J Vis Exp. 2014 Oct 28;(92):e51857. doi: 10.3791/51857. PubMed PMID: 25407650; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4353377.
4. Chatila T, Silverman L, Miller R, Geha R. Mechanisms of T cell activation by the calcium ionophore ionomycin. J Immunol. 1989 Aug 15;143(4):1283-9. PubMed PMID: 2545785.
5. Vasilev F, Chun JT, Gragnaniello G, Garante E, Santella L. Effects of ionomycin on egg activation and early development in starfish. PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e39231. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0039231. Epub 2012 Jun 18. PubMed PMID: 22723970; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3377674.
6. Campbell LE, Nelson J, Gibbons E, Judd AM, Bell JD. Membrane properties involved in calcium-stimulated microparticle release from the plasma membranes of S49 lymphoma cells. ScientificWorldJournal. 2014 Jan 21;2014:537192. doi: 10.1155/2014/537192. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 24578641; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3918691.
Products are for research use only. Not for human use.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.