Sphingosine is formed primarily from the breakdown of ceramide. Sphingosine inhibits protein kinase C and phosphatidic acid phosphohydrolase. D-sphingosine, a lipid possessing the same hydrophobic base as ceramide but without a carbohydrate residue, efficiently blocked this glycolipid antigen presentation both in vitro and in spinal cords of EAE mice, and significantly decreased IL-17 and ameliorated the pathological symptoms.
Chemical Formula: C18H37NO2
Exact Mass: 299.2824
Molecular Weight: 299.499
Elemental Analysis: C, 72.19; H, 12.45; N, 4.68; O, 10.68
- erythro-Sphingosine C-18
- Sphingosine (d18:1)
Appearance: Solid powder
Purity: >98% (or refer to the Certificate of Analysis)
Shipping Condition: Shipped under ambient temperature as non-hazardous chemical. This product is stable enough for a few weeks during ordinary shipping and time spent in Customs.
Storage Condition: Dry, dark and at 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks) or -20 C for long term (months to years).
Solubility: Soluble in DMSO
Shelf Life: >3 years if stored properly
Drug Formulation: This drug may be formulated in DMSO
Stock Solution Storage: 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks), or -20 C for long term (months).
HS Tariff Code: 2934.99.9001
A p32-sphingosine-activated protein kinase responds to low concentrations of D-erythro-Sphingosine with an initial activation observed at 2.5 μM and a peak activity at 10-20 μM. This kinase shows a modest specificity for D-erythro-Sphingosine over other sphingosine tereoisomers, and a preference for sphingosines over ihydrosphingosines. D-erythro-Sphingosine inhibits protein kinase C in vitro. D-erythro-Sphingosine has been shown to inhibit protein kinase C, which affects cell regulation and several signal transduction pathways, and exhibits antitumor promoter activities in various mammalian cells.
- Ban Y, Dong W, Zhang L, Zhou T, Altiti AS, Ali K, Mootoo DR, Blaho VA, Hla T, Ren Y, Ma X. Abrogation of Endogenous Glycolipid Antigen Presentation on Myelin- Laden Macrophages by D-Sphingosine Ameliorates the Pathogenesis of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. Front Immunol. 2019 Mar 19;10:404. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2019.00404. PMID: 30941120; PMCID: PMC6433838.
- Resuello DL, Lirio SB, Porto AE, Macabeo APG, Huang HY, Corpuz MJT, Villaflores OB. β-secretase 1 inhibitory activity and AMP-activated protein kinase activation of Callyspongia samarensis extracts. Nat Prod Res. 2020 Feb;34(4):525-529. doi: 10.1080/14786419.2018.1488699. Epub 2018 Nov 14. PMID: 30427208.
- Cleary JM, Lipsky ZW, Kim M, Marques CNH, German GK. Heterogeneous ceramide distributions alter spatially resolved growth of Staphylococcus aureus on human stratum corneum. J R Soc Interface. 2018 Apr;15(141):20170848. doi: 10.1098/rsif.2017.0848. PMID: 29669890; PMCID: PMC5938579.
- Qi M, Wu C, Wang Z, Zhou L, Men C, Du Y, Huang S, Chen L, Chen L. Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid 4 Activation-Induced Increase in Glycine-Activated Current in Mouse Hippocampal Pyramidal Neurons. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2018;45(3):1084-1096. doi: 10.1159/000487350. Epub 2018 Feb 7. PMID: 29439248.
- Pavlova NV, Li SC, Li YT. Degradation of glycosphingolipids in oyster: ceramide glycanase and ceramidase in the hepatopancreas of oyster, Crassostrea virginica. Glycoconj J. 2018 Feb;35(1):77-86. doi: 10.1007/s10719-017-9802-7. Epub 2017 Oct 16. PMID: 29039121.
- Moreno-Navarrete JM, Moreno M, Ortega F, Xifra G, Hong S, Asara JM, Serrano JCE, Jové M, Pissios P, Blüher M, Ricart W, Portero-Otin M, Fernández-Real JM. TSHB mRNA is linked to cholesterol metabolism in adipose tissue. FASEB J. 2017 Oct;31(10):4482-4491. doi: 10.1096/fj.201700161R. Epub 2017 Jun 23. PMID: 28646016; PMCID: PMC5602896.
Products are for research use only. Not for human use.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.