Alantolactone selectively suppresses STAT3 activation and exhibits potent anticancer activity in MDA-MB-231 cells.
Chemical Formula: C15H20O2
Exact Mass: 232.1463
Molecular Weight: 232.323
Elemental Analysis: C, 77.55; H, 8.68; O, 13.77
Chemical Name: (3AR-(3aalpha,5beta,8abeta,9aalpha))-3a,5,6,7,8,8a,9,9a-octahydro-5,8a-dimethyl-3-methylenenaphtho(2,3-b)furan-2(3H)-one
InChi Code: InChI=1S/C15H20O2/c1-9-5-4-6-15(3)8-13-11(7-12(9)15)10(2)14(16)17-13/h7,9,11,13H,2,4-6,8H2,1,3H3/t9-,11+,13+,15+/m0/s1
Appearance: Solid powder
Purity: >98% (or refer to the Certificate of Analysis)
Shipping Condition: Shipped under ambient temperature as non-hazardous chemical. This product is stable enough for a few weeks during ordinary shipping and time spent in Customs.
Storage Condition: Dry, dark and at 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks) or -20 C for long term (months to years).
Solubility: Soluble in DMSO
Shelf Life: >2 years if stored properly
Drug Formulation: This drug may be formulated in DMSO
Stock Solution Storage: 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks), or -20 C for long term (months).
HS Tariff Code: 2934.99.9001
Alantolactone induces apoptosis in HepG2 cells in a dose-dependent manner. This Alantolactone-induced apoptosis is found to be associated with GSH depletion, inhibition of STAT3 activation, ROS generation, mitochondrial transmembrane potential dissipation, and increased Bax/Bcl-2 ratio and caspase-3 activation. Alantolactone decreases STAT3 translocation to the nucleus, its DNA-binding, and STAT3 target gene expression. Alantolactone significantly inhibits STAT3 activation with a marginal effect on MAPKs and on NF-κB transcription; however, this effect is not mediated by inhibiting STAT3 upstream kinases.
Alantolactone induces activin/SMAD3 signaling in human colon adenocarcinoma HCT-8 cells. Alantolactone performs its antitumor effect by interrupting the interaction between Cripto-1 and the activin receptor type IIA in the activin signaling pathway.
Alantolactone (5 μg/mL, 24 h) inhibits cell proliferation in colon adenocarcinoma HCT-8 cells.
It is found that the average tumor volume in the Alantolactone-treated mice is approximately 2.17-fold lower compared with that in the control mice. However the administration of Alantolactone does not affect the overall bodyweight during the experimental period, suggesting no apparent toxicity. Additionally, the average tumor weight is significantly lower in the Alantolactone-treated mice compared with the control mice. What’s more, the administration of Alantolactone results in a significant decrease in p-STAT3 and cyclin D1 expression in the tumor tissues.
- Alzoubi K, Calabrò S, Egler J, Faggio C, Lang F. Triggering of programmed erythrocyte death by alantolactone. Toxins (Basel). 2014 Dec 22;6(12):3596-612. doi: 10.3390/toxins6123596. PubMed PMID: 25533522; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4280550.
- Yang C, Yang J, Sun M, Yan J, Meng X, Ma T. Alantolactone inhibits growth of K562/adriamycin cells by downregulating Bcr/Abl and P-glycoprotein expression. IUBMB Life. 2013 May;65(5):435-44. doi: 10.1002/iub.1141. Epub 2013 Feb 26. PubMed PMID: 23441067.
- Yao Y, Xia D, Bian Y, Sun Y, Zhu F, Pan B, Niu M, Zhao K, Wu Q, Qiao J, Fu C, Li Z, Xu K. Alantolactone induces G1 phase arrest and apoptosis of multiple myeloma cells and overcomes bortezomib resistance. Apoptosis. 2015 Aug;20(8):1122-33. doi: 10.1007/s10495-015-1140-2. PubMed PMID: 26033479.
- Yao Y, Sun YY, Xia DD, Niu MS, Zhao K, Li ZY, Zeng LY, Xu KL. [Effect of Alantolactone on Proliferation of RPMI-8226 Cells and Its Possible Mechnism]. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi. 2015 Oct;23(5):1336-40. doi: 10.7534/j.issn.1009-2137.2015.05.021. Chinese. PubMed PMID: 26524033.
- Yang C, Cai H, Yan J, Yang J, Sun M, Meng X, Ma T. [Inhibitory effect of alantolactone on the proliferation of K562/ADR cells and its mechanism]. Zhonghua Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi. 2014 Jun;35(6):515-8. doi: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.0253-2727.2014.06.009. Chinese. PubMed PMID: 24985175.
Products are for research use only. Not for human use.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.