Hexaminolevulinate hydrochloride, also known as hexyl 5-aminolevulinate HCl, is the hexyl ester of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) with photodynamic properties. As a precursor of photoactive porphorins, hexyl 5-aminolevulinate induces the endogenous production of the photosensitizer protoporphyrin IX (PPIX) which accumulates selectively in tumor tissue. When exposed to specific wavelengths of light, PPIX is activated and, depending on the wavelength and/or intensity of light, either fluoresces, thereby allowing tumor imaging, or induces tumor cell apoptosis. Check for active clinical trials or closed clinical trials using this agent. (NCI Thesaurus).
Chemical Formula: C11H22ClNO3
Molecular Weight: 251.75
Elemental Analysis: C, 52.48; H, 8.81; Cl, 14.08; N, 5.56; O, 19.07
5-Aminolevulinic acid hexyl ester
US brand names
hexyl 5-amino-4-oxopentanoate hydrochloride.
Appearance: White to off-white solid powder
Purity: >98% (or refer to the Certificate of Analysis)
Shipping Condition: Shipped under ambient temperature as non-hazardous chemical. This product is stable enough for a few weeks during ordinary shipping and time spent in Customs.
Storage Condition: Dry, dark and at 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks) or -20 C for long term (months to years).
Solubility: Soluble in DMSO, not in water
Shelf Life: >2 years if stored properly
Drug Formulation: This drug may be formulated in DMSO
Stock Solution Storage: 0 - 4 C for short term (days to weeks), or -20 C for long term (months).
HS Tariff Code: 2934.99.9001
- Togsverd-Bo K, Lerche CM, Philipsen PA, HÃ¦dersdal M, Wulf HC. Artificial daylight photodynamic therapy with "non-inflammatory" doses of hexyl aminolevulinate only marginally delays SCC development in UV-exposed hairless mice. Photochem Photobiol Sci. 2013 Sep 24. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24064675.
- Rink M, Babjuk M, Catto JW, Jichlinski P, Shariat SF, Stenzl A, Stepp H, Zaak D, Witjes JA. Hexyl aminolevulinate-guided fluorescence cystoscopy in the diagnosis and follow-up of patients with non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a critical review of the current literature. Eur Urol. 2013 Oct;64(4):624-38. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2013.07.007. Epub 2013 Jul 19. PubMed PMID: 23906669.
- Togsverd-Bo K, Lerche CM, Philipsen PA, Poulsen T, Wulf HC, Haedersdal M. Porphyrin biodistribution in UV-exposed murine skin after methyl- and hexyl-aminolevulinate incubation. Exp Dermatol. 2012 Apr;21(4):260-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0625.2012.01442.x. Epub 2012 Feb 10. PubMed PMID: 22320713.
- Baglo Y, Sousa MM, Slupphaug G, Hagen L, HÃ¥vÃ¥g S, Helander L, Zub KA, Krokan HE, Gederaas OA. Photodynamic therapy with hexyl aminolevulinate induces carbonylation, posttranslational modifications and changed expression of proteins in cell survival and cell death pathways. Photochem Photobiol Sci. 2011 Jul;10(7):1137-45. doi: 10.1039/c0pp00369g. Epub 2011 Mar 30. PubMed PMID: 21448498.
- Sievert KD, Kruck S. Hexyl aminolevulinate fluorescence cystoscopy in bladder cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2009 Aug;9(8):1055-63. doi: 10.1586/era.09.73. Review. PubMed PMID: 19671025.
Products are for research use only. Not for human use.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.